When responding to a coaching activity your speaking rate is measured by taking the total number of words spoken and dividing it by the number of minutes it took to speak them. There are many schools of thought on target speaking rate range and the target range may be influenced by geography or cultural norms. If a target speaking rate was set by the activity creator, this will be included when calculating the machine score.
Here are some guidelines:
• Slow speech is usually regarded as 100 WPM or lower
• Conversational speech generally falls between 120 WPM to 160-200
• Professionals who read books for radio or podcasts are often asked to speak at 150-160 WPM
Here are a few real-life examples:
• Six Minutes (a blog devoted to presentations and public speaking) states the target WPM range should be 133 to 188
• Carmine Gallo, author of Talk Like TED, claims that 190 WPM is the ideal rate of speech for public speaking
• Steve Jobs typically spoke at a rate of 158 WPM
If you need additional assistance, please contact Support.